Adoption Procedures and Application
Thank you for considering adopting an NLOL dog. Since it our desire that you adopt a pet who can enjoy a lifetime of love with you, we take special measures to ensure that your potential future pet is the best match for you and your family. To do this we:
- We ask everyone to fill out an adoption application so that we might better help you in finding the pet that best fits your lifestyle and needs. Once you submit your application, you will be contacted within the next few days by a volunteer adoption counselor.
To be considered for an NLOL dog, you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Be a resident of Illinois and live within 60 miles of Chicago
- Be able to show proof that you are allowed to have a pet in your home (yes, we’ll check!)
- Show that your current pets are spayed or neutered. NLOL will only place our animals in homes without intact animals.
- Specify which pet you are interested in. If you are not interested in any particular pet, please give us an idea of what you are looking for in the notes section of the application.
After completing the adoption application:
- You will be contacted by a New Leash On Life representative. This can include (but is not limited to) a telephone interview, email discussions, and/or a face-to-face meeting.
- Have a home visit to insure that your home is safe for the potential new dog.
- Sign a legally binding adoption contract.
- Make a donation to help cover NLOL’s costs. Although we spend upwards of $300 minimum per dog, we only ask for a $250 donation for dogs and puppies – which covers microchip registration.
Please note: Applicants who do not meet the above criteria may not be contacted. Completion of this application does not guarantee adoption of an NLOL Chicago dog. Do not use our application for Courtesy Listing Pets — please contact the rescuer listed for the pet directly.